Lips contribute to a large part of our facial appearance. It is one of the first things people see when they look at you. Unfortunately, the lips are prone to pigmentary problems and wrinkling. They lose their elasticity, tone, and collagen, making them look thinner and less attractive. At that point, it is best to consider cosmetic procedures like lip enhancement. For instance, lip fillers are an excellent option for fuller and plumper lips. This post will concentrate on how lip fillers work and aftercare tips.
How Do Lip Fillers Work?
Lip fillers are meant to enhance the shape of the lips. It is a lip enhancement procedure that involves injecting a substance like hyaluronic acid into the lips, achieving plump lips with a natural look. Safety should be at the top of your list when seeking any lip enhancement procedure. Therefore, here are the dos and don’ts for aftercare after lip fillers.
Things to Do After Lip Injection
You should do the following to care for your lips after the treatment.
- Lip fillers are a cost-effective lip enhancement procedure that helps you get fuller lips. After the treatment, drinking enough water is advisable to speed up the recovery.
- Apply ice on the lids after the injection to decrease pain and swelling.
- Your doctor will recommend over-the-counter medications to minimize pain and discomfort during the first day after the treatment. You can also use anti-inflammatory medication recommended by the doctor to reduce inflammation.
- Maintaining a healthy diet that the doctor will recommend to lessen bruising and swelling is recommended. For example, eating many fruits and vegetables will help maintain hydration. The specialist will also advise you to avoid spicy foods or food with high sodium levels. Such foods can cause more swelling, hence the direction to prevent them.
- Ensure you don’t wear makeup, lip balm, or lip gloss 48 hours after the procedure. You should also avoid high temperatures like hot showers since the skin is still sensitive.
- The specialist will also recommend you avoid vigorous exercise 48 hours after the injection to give the lips enough time to heal. Avoiding exercise prevents straining the treated area, which may cause more bruising or swelling. ‘
Things to Avoid After Lip Injection
Once your lip enhancement procedure is complete, your doctor will also give you additional instructions you must follow. Part of it is recommending things to avoid during the healing process. Such things include;
After a lip filler treatment, it is best that you avoid alcohol. Alcohol causes blood vessel dilation, leading to more swelling. It also slows down healing such that you require more downtime.
Nicotine also affects blood flow in the capillaries, slowing down healing and the overall results of the treatment. That is why specialists recommend quitting smoking weeks before and after the procedure.
Another thing you must avoid after a lip filler treatment is traveling. You may want to travel immediately after the lip filler treatment. However, it is best to wait until the lips are fully healed.
These are the things you should do and don’t do after a lip filler treatment. Follow the dermatologist’s instructions and avoid exposing your lips to pressure. More importantly, ensure you get the lip enhancement treatment from a qualified and experienced specialist.